
This story is a fantastic book to keep every single one of your kindergartner through second grader's attention. It relies primarily on the typical humor that children share amongst each other. The word "stupid" is constantly thrown around in a comical fashion, which adds to the intended "comical effect." Children will not only find the text funny, but they will also find the illustrations amusing - as they are perfectly paralleled with the text. One example of this humor is expressed when the family throws a costume ball, and the grandfather dresses up as a bunny and constantly exclaims "ho, ho, ho!" as if he is Santa Clause. The illustrations seem like they are sketch-like, and are filled in with some water colors. Overall, I thought this was a fun story to use if you want your students to laugh.
.jpg)
Although this may be a comical story, I don't particularly like the use of the word stupid. Name-calling happens at a young age and continues throughout school. Instead of just accepting it, one needs to find a way to stop it. After reading "The Misfits" it is apparent how much words can hurt. I don't think I would use this book in my classroom; it shows kids that it is ok to call people stupid.
ReplyDelete