Tuesday, September 29, 2009

"The Cat in the Hat" by Dr. Suess


I haven't read Suess' popular "Cat in the Hat" recently until now, and it just reminds me at what a creative author Suess was. Interestingly enough, the version of the story I checked out had both Spanish and English text, which is excellent for bilingual students. Since Suess uses simplistic rhyming schemes and small words, this is an excellent children's book for young ELL students to learn English. In contrast, if English children want a challenge they may attempt to correspond which English words go with each Spanish word.

As always, Suess' illustrations are phenomenal at keeping any reader of any age engaged. Unlike other of Suess' books, he uses very minimal color in this story. However, he uses this to his advantage to keep the reader focused on the main aspects of the illustrations (i.e. the assortment of things The Cat in the Hat is juggling). I also love Suess' unique way to create expressions on each of his characters, whether it be a fish or a "thing." Overall, I see why this wild and crazy story has become a children's favorite - and the fact that it is in two languages adds an educational aspect to the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment