Tuesday, September 29, 2009

"Snow" by Uri Shulevitz


Everyone knows children love snow: so why not make a book about it? This story is a simple story about a young boy who goes around telling everyone that he sees snowflakes, so he has high hopes that it will snow. However, the townspeople he interacts with says it will not snow - based on weather predictions. At the end of the book, it begins snowing crazily and the little boy is ecstatic (as to be expected). I really enjoyed this author's illustrations - he had created a large town square with houses lined up on one side, and a giant street in the middle.

It is my belief that this author is expressing life in a different country, based on the large street - that coupled as a sidewalk. I think this book is great for children from pre-k to kindergarten, especially for the holiday season. Words like "snow" are very common all throughout the book, and there are little to no long sentences - just sentence fragments. Overall, I thought this was an o.k. book, but the illustrations really made it fun for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment