
One story that I have heard was excellent was "The Napping House." At first glance, nothing looked special about the cover of this book - except for the gold sticker signifying it won an award for best illustrations by the New York Times. Now I'm interested... This is an extremely creative book, in that on every new page - a new character is added in which they sleep on the next. This creates a tower of cats sleeping on dogs, which are sleeping on humans, etc. Ultimately, a small flea that is sleeping on a cat wakes everyone in the room.
I thought the images were extremely creative in this book. Each page on the right was the same, showing the same bed - except for the new animals/insects sleeping on top of each other. Children would love this - because they are constantly seeing the new animals that sleep on top of each other move around the bed. Eventually, when everyone wakes up, the dark schemed colors turn bright - considering it is now morning and all the room is illuminated. Although this story does not have any underlying lessons, it is still a fun/engaging story for young children from Pre-K through 1st grade.
.jpg)
I wrote about this book in my blog too! My favorite thing to do when I was little was to search for the flea on each page. My Mom would always stop reading and ask me if I could find the flea. I treasured that interaction with my Mother and with the text.
ReplyDelete