Sunday, December 6, 2009

"One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" by Dr. Suess


For these next five posts I have chosen to do them all on my favorite all-time Children's author: Dr. Suess. This Suess story is typical of his many stories, in that there are many rhyming schemes and illustrations are very simple and engaging. He uses very basic colors throughout the story, nothing too drastic or vibrant. After reading this story I think it would be great for students who are in grades K-1, in that it helps reinforce new, simple vocabulary, as well as adjectives and verbs. It also aids to re-emphasize different colors (although by this point most children will know their colors). I think this story would be excellent in an elementary classroom in that the teacher can use it to teach what rhyming is to his/her students. Although most Suess books contain rhymes, this book uses very preliminary words - thus it would be easiest for students to comprehend the concept of rhyming if the most basic of words are used.

No comments:

Post a Comment