Wow, it's hard to believe the semester is at an end! Well, this class far exceeded my expectations on a variety of different levels. First off, I really liked how the class was set up. It was a very comfortable, open environment that encouraged everyone to participate in class-wide discussion. I really enjoyed working together in our groups, especially during "The Misfits" book. I thought it was extremely interesting and fun trading our elementary/middle school perspectives of how name calling and stereotyping effected us all on a personal level. Probably the most memorable activity I will take from this class was the day we worked on poetry - and had to read our designated poem out loud to the class. It gave us the opportunity to be goofy, creative, fun, and unique. It's amazing that just changing how we say the poem can alter its tone and the way others around us interpret the poem.
Aside from my in class experiences, I really thought this class as a whole was fantastic - especially for any student going into elementary education. My first presumptions about this class was "Great, what could there really be about children's literature that I have to learn - besides that it is super easy to read?" Reflecting back over the semester it is amazing how many different layers there are to great children's literature. Unlike novels, children's literature can utilize some of the most important tools of all, keeping students visually and physically engaged in their reading. I have seen many books that have pop-out additions, books with different sized fonts, different shapes, colors, types of illustrations, etc. It is amazing at the extent to how great children's authors construct their books. They are much more meticulous and methodical than I ever thought children's authors would be. From every single illustration to every single word, I have come to understand and appreciate children's literature for much more than my old stereotype of it. It is creative, intuitive, funny, and a whole list of other adjectives that I won't waste time listing. Overall, fantasic course. Nothing more need be said.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment