Sunday, October 25, 2009

"Daddy's Roommate" by Michael Willhoite


Similar to "Daddy, Papa, and Me" this is a story about gay marriage. However, this story is very different than the previous one I reviewed in that this one is very "in your face" about gay marriage. The story starts off with the father leaving the mother for a new boyfriend, and the child explains that he still has fun with his dad and his dad's new friend. The child then explains that he talks with his mother - and his mother actually uses the word "gay" to describe his father. She explains that being married and gay is the same as being straight and married, in that they both involve love, and that "Love is the best kind of happiness." The idea of the author using the actual rhetoric surrounding gay marriage is even more controversial than the previous story, in that it does not dance around the idea.

Aside from the controversial texts, the illustrations were actually very controversial as well. In one picture, it shows the father leaving the mother for his new boyfriend. On another page, it shows boyfriend putting lotion on the father's back at the beach, and the boyfriend and father sleeping together. Overall, I believe the author took a brave approach in putting these illustrations and words in your face, unlike many other controversial books that only touch on the concepts. I believe this story would be effective to read in a young classroom - after getting support from your principal of course.

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds extremely interesting, and quite controversial. I have never heard of this book, but I would be curious to read it. The book appears as if it is extremely blunt and up front about gay marriage, and I think that is a good thing. This sounds like a book that is certainly worth exploring.

    ReplyDelete