Sunday, October 25, 2009

Midterm Perspectives of 7E:123

So far I'm enjoying this class more than I had originally anticipated. I especially like the fact that we are able to choose the books we review. This gives me the opportunity to read and reflect upon books that I had enjoyed as a child - that I have most likely not read for over a decade. As I was saying in one of my previous blogs, I just love the fact that everytime I read one of the classic stories I loved when I was a kid, the images are still imprinted in my memories. As cheesy as it sounds, viewing these old images from the stories of my childhood brings me back and almost makes me feel like I'm a kid again.

Aside from the book reviews, one of the biggest aspects of the class that I enjoy are the discussions. Our discussion of "The Misfits" was pretty fun, in that my peers and myself were able to discuss our different experiences with name-calling, and other concepts that we never really paid attention to as younger kids. It's pretty cool to be able to trade our adult perspectives and reflect upon our different childhood experiences. I also find it pretty ironic and convenient that many adaptations of children's novels are being transformed into hollywood blockbusters - such as "Where the Wild Things Are" and "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs." Using the different strategies to analyze and interpret children's novels I have learned in this class thus far, it is interesting to review these movies in a different light - with a broader background in children's literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment